Thursday, May 29, 2014

Tortellini & Spring Vegetable Salad

This will be the last meal I share detailing our use of Week 1 items, because today Steve is picking up our Week 2 box (I heard a rumor there was rhubarb in the swap box today and I'm a little giddy about it)! I have an upcoming post planned to summarize our first week eating from the CSA and how we did with each of the items we received. That might be of interest to those who are curious about the real world practicality of this kind of service (myself included).

So, this spring pasta salad was a big winner for us. Steve said this was his favorite thing we made in Week 1. I thought the tortellini and goat cheese went great against all the veggies, and the simple oil & vinegar dressing was perfect. It came together so quickly and easily, and delivered far beyond what I was expecting, taste-wise. Best. case. scenario.

Tortellini and Spring Vegetable Salad on the kitchn


Used From Our CSA
asparagus
mixed greens (thrown in with some leftover grocery store baby spinach we also had on hand)
French breakfast radishes
red scallions (in lieu of chives)



Thoughts on the Recipe
- We used the frozen tortellini we had on hand, which was cheese (rather than pesto).
- I skipped the peas altogether. Fresh peas sounded good, but since we didn't have any, the idea of buying them frozen just to add them in with a bunch of other fresh, delicious things just didn't sound appealing. And peas aren't something we normally keep on hand for other recipes, so I just thought why bother?
- Leftovers assessment: It was ... okay. Definitely much better fresh. I actually ended up picking out the radishes at lunch the next day because I thought they really took on a bad, bitter flavor. Does anybody know why that might be? Is that a thing that radishes do once they've been cut?

Thanks for following along with our first week of CSA adventures. I can't wait to see what Week 2 brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment