Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Week 12 Delivery

Hey there, it's CSA Week 12! Here's what we got in our latest delivery. If you can't tell from the picture, it was an exceptionally heavy box (quite a change from the early weeks of leafy greens and scallions!).


Vegetables
baby eggplant
heirloom tomatoes
garlic
Hungarian hot wax peppers
mixed yummy peppers
red tomatoes
green zucchini
gold beets 

Fruit
peaches
cantaloupe

Chicken
whole chicken

Some initial thoughts about this delivery :
- More tiny eggplants, and now these cute, colorful peppers? I don't know whose idea it is to grow all these mini-versions of vegetables, but they are adorable, so just keep them coming! Not to mention that they taste great; it's like Christmas come early over here.
- I'm jazzed about the melon. Getting something new that you've been waiting on all season is always exciting. It's really yummy too.
- Hungarian hot wax peppers: say what?! I've never had one before. It seems that they are often pickled, and I think we will aim to do that with ours too. There is a grilled cheese sandwich in our plans this week that may or may not bring them into play. 

Has anyone else ever had a Hungarian hot wax pepper before? Also, tell me I'm not alone in my love of tiny vegetables...

4 comments:

  1. Yes, my pappy used to grow those hot peppers. They're not ridiculously hot but they tend to be a lot of hot pepper to throw in a dish. We like 'em best in jar of vinegar to make peppered vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicole - that's great to know! The peppered vinegar idea is so intriguing; I'll have to remember that :)

      Delete
    2. My husband uses peppered vinegar on practically everything but it's especially tasty on plain rice or in soups and stews to give the dish a little zing.

      Delete
    3. Very cool - thanks again!

      Delete