Monday, June 9, 2014

Rhubarb Galette

Yep, I'm back with more rhubarb!

This galette (like a pie without a pan - it's French and therefore classy) was pretty delicious, and almost entirely consumed within about 3 hours of it's conception (thank you, girls' night). I have to say, Martha really knows her stuff. The cornmeal in the crust did me in and gave it a great rustic texture. It took some time, but wasn't too work intensive. If you think of this as apple pie's springy counterpart, and you love a homemade crust like I do, it took far less effort overall. 

Rhubarb Galette on martha stewart


Used From Our CSA
rhubarb (a little from both Weeks 2 and 3)



Thoughts on the Recipe
- Making the dough a day early could help break up the work and clean-up for this recipe
- If you're smarter than me, you'll use a rimmed baking sheet. My crust had one tiny little hole in it (see above), so the juices ran everywhere (luckily I saw what was happening, so I constructed a little aluminum foil trough to put on the lower rack before the puddle went overboard).
- I get a little better & more consistent every time I make a crust. I use a lot of flour to prevent sticking. I honestly think that pie/pastry crust can sense fear. So my best advice is to remain confident and calm, but try to work quickly. Once I start to fall apart, so does the crust. Seriously. I rolled it out right on the counter top, and then sort of scraped and folded it over bit by bit onto the parchment paper, until it was upside-down and completely on the paper in one piece.
- If you have the time (I did not), let it cool completely before transferring it onto a platter, or heck: just eat it hot. Steve & I tried the 3-spatula teamwork approach to move it over, and it completely broke apart. I was pretty ticked, but he did a good job of discreetly piecing it back together while I stood there and said bad words.

Things that make my heart happy, right here.

Two rhubarb recipes under my belt now! I wonder if we'll get any more this season, or if it has run its course? Either way, our fruit share officially starts this Thursday, which I am super pumped for. Rhubarb or no, there are more weekend desserts in our future!

1 comment:

  1. So true! Any kind of dough can sense fear. Just remind yourself that you're the boss. You're the one with the rolling pin, and that means you're in charge. Also, Blake and I are no strangers to the multiple spatula moving method (or to the resulting mess/cracked cake layers and bad words).

    ReplyDelete