Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Week 4 Delivery

Here is what we got last Thursday in our Week 4 delivery. The first week of our fruit share!


Vegetables
bok choy
green leaf lettuce
cilantro
purple mizuna (peeking out from beneath the radishes)
rainbow chard
green romaine lettuce
French breakfast radishes
young broccoli (bag in the middle)
scallions

Fruit
strawberries
jar of applesauce

Chicken
2 breasts
4 thighs
4 legs


Seriously? This box was overflowing with food. We're halfway through the week and I still don't know how we're going to use everything. I wrote last week that I feel less daunted by the box full of produce once I've made a meal plan (which usually happens on Friday night, the day after the delivery). This week though? I planned out our week of meals, and it didn't even account for the broccoli or chicken thighs or legs. Yikes!

The unused chicken is not really a big deal. It comes frozen and can stay that way until we have a use for it, even if that's not until fall or winter. In fact, it will be awesome to have some on hand and already paid for once our CSA is over. So no worries there, provided we have enough room in our little freezer. Maybe we should freeze the broccoli too - I bet it could be good in a soup this fall or winter. Hmm... we'd better clean out our freezer and make some space.

I already have a few recipes to share from this box, but I just have a feeling like this week may be a bit of a flop. I promise to keep it real whatever happens, even it that means we let some of our lovely produce go to waste. It happens, right? Is this a good problem to have, or just a problem?

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That is a full box! I'm not sure what I would do with about half of the stuff in there (I had to google purple mizuna).

    I hate wasting produce (although it happens). Do you compost? Every time I toss out wilted or sad looking produce I think "UGH, if only I composted this wouldn't be quite as wasteful." Well, I hope your week is not a flop, but I'm looking forward to reading about it either way. Blog on, Catie! Blog on! :)

    ReplyDelete