Monday, June 23, 2014

Strawberry Rhubarb Crumb Cake

Is anybody getting sick of rhubarb? I am totally not... I had eaten it, but never cooked with it before this season, and I'm having a lot of fun! I also didn't know that the rhubarb window would be open this long. Each week I think, "This is probably the last batch of rhubarb we'll get." and then am pleasantly surprised and ready to accept the challenge with another new recipe the following week. This strawberry-rhubarb crumb cake constitutes the 3rd rhubarb recipe I've made this year and (spoiler alert) there is a 4th one in the works for this week. Just say yes to rhubarb.

My only problem with this cake (or maybe just an observation) is that is really was at its best the day after I baked it. It didn't serve well as a keep-it-around-for-a-week-and nibble-off-it cake; it's more like a make-for-a-party-so-it-all-gets-enjoyed-while-it's-fresh cake. After a couple of days the cake layer got a bit stale and the crumble topping lost its crunch because of the moist fruit layer beneath. So there's my recommendation: make it to share, or just eat a whole bunch of cake by yourself, all at once, while it's still super yummy. Either way.

Strawberry Rhubarb Crumb Cake on my baking addiction

This was taken about four days into the cake's existence, so its optimum beauty is not captured here.

Used From Our CSA
rhubarb
strawberries 


Thoughts on the Recipe
I don't have much to say about this recipe, other than I over-baked ours a bit. I wish I had taken it out about 2 minutes before I did. That crumble topping went from perfect to too-brown in a very narrow slice of time. So keep an eye on it, and enjoy the strawberry rhubarb goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment