Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Week 3 Summary

Here is an overview of how things ended up for Week 3:


Rhubarb: gone! About half of it went into the galette (along with what remained from Week 2). I made another dessert over the weekend that used up most of the rest of it, along with some strawberries that came in our Week 4 box. I'll share that dish as part of Week 4.

Yellow Chard: gone! It all went into this gratin recipe - I halved it. Very tasty (how could it not be after being cooked with milk, butter, and cheese?).

Salanova Lettuce: about half the head is left - this has been great in lunch salads, which I ate pretty much every day this week. I think we'll finish it yet or come close; it's holding up pretty well.

Scallions: between the stock, kale salad, and other random stuff, I think we worked our way through most of them.

Garlic Scapes: gone! One or two went into Steve's stock, and I made the rest into pesto (using the recipe on this site, and I also tossed in a small handful of pine nuts). This was really fun, since we had never cooked with or even heard of scapes before. The pesto has a pretty good, garlic-y bite to it, so the pasta was pretty strong and just okay IMO. On pizza however: SO GOOD. We still have a bunch left in the freezer, and scape peso pizza is on the menu again tonight - yay.

Green Kale: gone! All went into making the kale & quinoa salad.

Red Leaf Lettuce: gone! All used up in side salads throughout the week.

Strawberries: gone! I used several in lunch salads, and Steve made a mini-clafloutis with the rest last Friday (which was apparently Julia Childs' favorite dessert - he got the recipe at a cooking class several months ago).

Whole Heritage Chicken: gone! Roasted for dinner and then used to make a basic stock.

strawberry clafloutis made by Steve

Week 3 Links
Rhubarb Galette
Butter-Roasted Chicken and Stock
Kale & Quinoa Salad

chard gratin and noodles with garlic scape pesto

So that's Week 3 in a nutshell! We're currently in the middle of Week 4 - and have a LOT of veggies to work our way through. My next post will be an overview of what came in this week's box.

1 comment:

  1. Garlic scape pesto pizza sounds phenomenal. Why haven't I ever made my own garlic scape pesto? Oh right, because I had never heard of garlic scapes before your blog. I think I need to find a farmer's market so I can rectify this problem.

    ReplyDelete