Thursday, July 17, 2014

Chocolate Beet Cake

As I mentioned yesterday, I was (and still am) daunted by the beets and the cabbage that we got in our Week 8 box. I did get some really great suggestions on facebook though for how to make use of both - yay and thank you! So somehow I feel like I cheated a little, but when I was scrolling Pinterest for recipe ideas and saw one for a chocolate beet cake, I repinned it right away and didn't look any further for ideas. And I think I was so relieved to see the word "cake" that it also didn't occur to me to browse around for other cake or dessert ideas that used beets. Now I know that there are a lot out there, and some variations that look really good! So all that to say that I can't vouch for this recipe in particular; I literally tried the first one I found.

My mom always says that beets taste like dirt, and I think I agree with her. I haven't yet written them off entirely, but I have to say that I even found the process of boiling, peeling and dicing these guys to prepare them for the batter to be pretty distasteful. They boiled for 20 minutes and by the end of it, the whole kitchen smelled like the ground! The aroma during baking was much nicer, once the chocolate was in the mix too, but by then I wasn't expecting much. My first few tastes put me on the fence, but this cake has really grown on me throughout the week. I would say it does have a bit of an earthy flavor to it somewhere in there, but it works.

Chocolate Beet Cake on Gourmet Heartbeat 


Used From Our CSA
chioggia beets


Thoughts on the Recipe
- I was short on beets, and had only one and a half of the two cups the recipe calls for. It worked out okay, obviously, and probably gave me less of that earthiness I mentioned above. I added a little extra applesauce to help make up the volume.
- The recipe recommends a bundt pan for this cake, which would have been very cute, but we don't own one. Instead I divided the batter in two and used my loaf pan twice. I guess I could have also halved the recipe, but then I wouldn't have been able to use up all the beets! I watched it closely, but the baking time ended up being about the same.
- Yes to chocolate chips! I love the texture they give to a chocolate cake. I was generous with them.

So now I can say I've baked with beets. We are slotted to get some more in Week 9, so let's see if I get brave and actually try a savory dish next time, or if I just stick to putting beets in baked goods from here on out.

No comments:

Post a Comment