Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Week 8 Summary

Week 8 of our CSA is now behind us. Here's an overview of how we used (or didn't use) the items we received:


Royal Burgundy Beans: the cool thing I learned about burgundy beans last week is that they lose their dark purple color and turn green when they are done cooking! How neat (and totally practical) is that? Unfortunately though, we still have almost a whole bag of these left.  I made one small helping of them while Steve was away, but hopefully we'll make some more with dinner tonight.

Dill: so if you're not pickling en masse, what's the best way to use up a whole bunch of dill? On Friday I roasted two chicken legs in a pan of the new red potatoes and carrots, and then coated the cooked veggies in lemon juice and dill for some flavor. The recipe called for a whopping 2 tsp. of minced dill, which didn't even make a dent in the bundle we got. Any suggestions?

8-Ball Zucchini: I only used one of these squash last week to make the zucchini tomato gratin, so we are still swimming in them (especially because we got about 6 more in our Week 9 box!). That's okay though because I still have plans for them, and I seriously love zucchini.

New Red Potatoes: gone! They all went into the roast veggies/chicken legs dish mentioned above and pictured below, a variation on this recipe. The whole thing turned out okay. Not bad, but a little dry, which can most likely be blamed on my incompetence with taking a recipe rogue.



Chioggia Beets: gone! All went into the chocolate beet cake I wrote about last week.

Red Leaf Lettuce: gone! Mid-week I thawed a chicken breast from one of our previous CSA weeks, and poached and cubed it so it could go into a green salad for lunches while Steve was away (since not cooking dinner every night = no leftovers to eat for lunch the next day). So good. My favorite right now is dried cranberries, blue cheese crumbles, and a vinaigrette or Vadalia onion dressing. Oh, and cashews (!), but we didn't have any on hand.


Green Cabbage: we used about half of it and I'm sorry to say I don't think the rest is going to get used. This is the recipe I tried and it was not love, at all. I have total vegetable-guilt.

White Onions: haven't used any of them yet, but thankfully they'll hold up for a long long time.

Peaches: gone! All eaten with lunches.

2 Pints Blueberries: so far we've used about half of them. I made this yummy blueberry cheesecake ice-cream as a welcome home treat for Steve (but also secretly as a treat for myself!). We half this recipe to 8 servings when we make it.

 

Chicken Breasts: gone! Both went into this barbecue pulled chicken crock-pot dish that we love. Steve tweaks the ingredients some (less molasses, more vinegar) to get more bite in the sauce and it's great.

Wings: not used yet; still frozen.


Week 8 Links
Chocolate Beet Cake
Zucchini Tomato Gratin


Week 9 is up next. Stay tuned to see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment