Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Week 8 Delivery

Welcome to CSA Week 8! Here are the items we received in our box last Thursday:


Vegetables
royal burgundy beans (bag, semi-hidden next to the dill)
dill
8-ball zucchini (they are round! so cute)
new red potatoes
chioggia beets
red leaf lettuce
green cabbage
white onions

Fruit
peaches
2 pints blueberries

Chicken
breasts
wings

Week 8 presents itself with three interesting challenges. The first challenge is that Steve is away Monday through Friday of this week, leading a sleep-away camp for work. Typically, if he's working late or doing an overnight for work, I won't cook dinner, but instead will scrounge around for leftovers or treat myself to something like Chipotle. It provides a nice excuse to get out of the kitchen (and do something super productive instead, like watch Netflix). But for five days in a row, that's not going to fly. I did kind of front-load our meal plan so I was able to hoard some leftovers by the end of the weekend, but I'll still be cooking for myself at least a couple of times this week.

Challenges number two and three are the cabbage and beets, which are both filed under the "don't love" heading for Steve and I. I've already made use of the beets, and will share this week what we made and how it went (we may have cheated...?). I also tried a recipe on Sunday night that used about half the cabbage, and IMO it was not good. Steve called it "edible", and I don't think that response qualifies it as a success. But I am excited about all of our other Week 8 items and have some fun plans this week!

I'd love your ideas for preparing beets and cabbage in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment